Monday 10 August 2015

PROJECT CANCER

Why Project Cancer?
 
You're probably sitting in front of you chosen electrical device and thinking, what is the girl on about. Has she got cancer? Is she a voluntary helping people that have cancer?
If so, you've got a totally wrong idea. Before you read on here is a hint.

 
 


Project Cancer is the title of a film about Ulay (real name Frank Uwe Laysiepen) a German artist, if you can even call him that. I don't think there is another word to describe him, but even this one doesn't do him justice. He is a creator of art, a recreator of real life in the art world, a performer, an observer, a poet. I don't want to smear all of my opinions onto his work so I will merely be a messanger, delivering the inspiration to you. You have to let your own mind do the interpretation - I can only go so far with this... But I have to say this one thing, his work carries a deep, deep message. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, it's something you'll either love or hate to bits. Its execution, both his earlier works (his era working with Polaroid) like the photograph above that explores the border between genders, - essentially the whole concept of gender as well as, his performance art is sharp to say the least. The simplicity seems to be the key here.
You see, you register, you think for a while, you understand, you realise what a genius Ulay is, you continue to admire his other works and then like myself, the whole concept of art becomes redefined in your head - nothing seems the same.
 
Getting back to the film, the first thing you should know is that it's a documentary. Pure and true in it's form, a great way to get to know the artist - how does he think? where does his find his inspiration? the way he dresses and talks? It sounds vain ( at least the last question), but I have to be honest with my readers... I find it a crucial part of the whole 'discovering an artist' experience to see him in his natural habitat and everyday life. Is he nice? Is he this is he that? This enables me to put a few pieces of the puzzle together and understand, even in the slightest, what the guy is on about. ( I do hope I'm not the only one!!!) To tie those thoughts up with the movie - it's just the thing a newbie to Ulay needs. I was one until 2 days ago. I only went because I saw Marina Abramovic in the trailer of Project Cancer and... the banner on the facebook event was very intriguing.
 
Enough of my babbles. Here are the bits and bobs I found to give you a head start in your discoveries. I tried to pick out things that won't offend anyone, because some of his work (along with his collaborations with Marina can be a bit, well ... shocking).
 

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEO

CLICK TO WATCH VIDEO

Marina and Ulay - they were together for 12 years.
They said their goodbyes on the Great Wall of China in 1988.
  
 
 
Julia xo 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment